March 29, 2023 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 23V218000
High-Voltage Battery Pack May Short-Circuit
A battery electrical short-circuit increases the risk of a fire.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 23V218
Manufacturer Kia America, Inc.
Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected 2,689
Kia America, Inc. (Kia) is recalling certain 2015-2019 Soul EV vehicles equipped with an E400 battery. The high-voltage battery pack may experience an electrical short-circuit while driving.
Dealers will update the battery management system software, free of charge. The new software will illuminate the EV warning light, limit charging capacity, and reduce vehicle power if abnormal voltage is detected. If this occurs, the battery will be replaced, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed May 26, 2023. Owners may contact Kia customer service at 1-800-333-4542. Kia’s number for this recall is SC267.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
Check if your Kia has a Recall
2015-2019MY Soul EV
High Voltage Battery
Basis of Safety Defect Determination 573.6(c)(6)
May 31, 2022
Kia North America (Kia NA) receives Techline case from dealer to report smoke from battery vents located under passenger seat during diagnosis of a 2017 Kia Soul EV (Vehicle #1). Heat damage limited to within the battery case assembly. Kia record shows vehicle’s high voltage battery previously replaced under warranty.
June 13, 2022
Kia NA Safety Office requests Kia Customer Care repurchase subject 2017 Soul EV for further evaluation.
October 5-7, 2022
Kia Canada informs Kia NA Safety Office of thermal damage incident involving the high voltage battery in a 2018 Soul EV (Vehicle #2) where customer reported vehicle began to smoke and slowed to a stop. Dealer inspection noted heat damage limited to within the battery case assembly. Kia NA Safety Office notifies Kia Corporation (Kia HQ) of thermal damage battery incidents and requests investigation assistance.
October 22, 2022
Repurchased Vehicle #1 arrives at Kia NA for further investigation.
October 25-28, 2022
Kia HQ and supplier inspect Vehicle #2. Inspection confirms prior dealer inspection of heat damage limited to within the battery case assembly.
October 31- November 3, 2022
Kia NA Safety Office, Kia HQ and supplier conduct partial teardown of Vehicle #1. Preliminary investigation results are inconclusive. Battery sent to supplier for CT scan and additional tear down analysis.
December 1, 2022
Kia NA receives customer complaint of popping noise and smoke coming from cupholders of a 2018 Soul EV in Hawaii (Vehicle #3).
February 2-6, 2023
Kia NA Safety Office and Kia HQ meet with supplier to review investigation results from CT scans & tear down analysis for Vehicles #1 and #2. CT scans and tear down analysis are inconclusive due to thermal damage and water intrusion from fire suppression (i.e., flooding of high voltage battery).
March 1, 2023
Kia NA Safety Office informs NHTSA of Soul EV high voltage battery investigation.
March 13-17, 2023
Kia NA Safety Office, Kia HQ and supplier inspect Vehicle #3 in Hawaii & perform tear down analysis. Heat damage limited to within the battery case assembly. Preliminary investigation results are inconclusive. Kia NA Safety Office ships high voltage battery to supplier for further evaluation.
March 20, 2023
Kia NA Safety Office conducts field data review and confirms no other potentially related incidents.
March 21, 2023
Kia HQ informs Kia NA Safety Office of its analysis that an electrical short circuit between the anode and cathode of battery cells can occur with the high-voltage battery pack assembly case. Cause of electrical short circuit unknown but believed to be caused by abnormally excessive precipitate within the battery cells.
March 22, 2023
Although cause of electrical short circuit is unknown, Kia NA decides to recall all 2018-2019MY Soul EV vehicles equipped with an E400 battery and certain 2015-2017MY Soul EV vehicles that had the high voltage battery replaced under warranty with E400 battery. Three (3) thermal incidents limited to battery case assembly (two (2) from U.S.; one (1) from Canada), no injuries, no crashes and no fatalities.
5 Affected Products
3 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
2015-2019MY Soul EV High Voltage Battery Chronology
Latest Recalls Documents
- High-Speed Charging: When compared to the stock 8A level 1 charger, MEGEAR Skysword Ⅱ EV Charger is 3 times as fast, leaving you with more time to get back on the road in your EV.
- Reliability to the fullest: Our smart-chip detection system in MEGEAR Skysword Ⅱ electric vehicle charger can detect all aspects of the charging progress, including overheating, current overflow, power surge, low voltage, power overload, leakage to ensure safety and protection.
- Compatible with all EVs: MEGEAR Skysword Ⅱ ev charging station is compatible to all SAE J1772 standard electric vehicles and Tesla models (via SAE J1772 Charging Adapter).
- LED indicator: Indicator on the back of MEGEAR Skysword Ⅱ portable EV Charger displays charging progress and errors.
- Warranty Information: All products come with a 1-year Limited warranty and Life-time technical support.
- 【Made for All EVs】Our Level 2 EV charger is compatible with all SAE-J1772 electric vehicles, including Tesla (Adapter needs to be purchased separately). Featuring a built-in ground wire and easy DIY installation, it offers cost-effective and energy-efficient charging with reduced heat loss.
- 【Plug and Play】Designed for user-friendliness, this EV charging station requires no professional electrician (Hard wired is not recommended). It comes with 3 RFID Powercards to prevent unauthorized charging. Just connect to power and start charging. The included bracket manages the plug and cable effortlessly.
- 【SmartCharge Safety】With 24/7 real-time monitoring, our EV charging station detects and prevents short circuits, undervoltages, overcurrents, and other electrical hazards to protect your EV and home. EV charger automatically resumes charging when conditions normalize.
- 【IP66 Water-Proof】Boasting an industry-leading IP66 water-proof rating, this level 2 EV charging station is safe to use outdoors in any weather. It can withstand up to 40KA (8/20μs) of external electrical shocks, and includes a high-sensitivity leakage sensor for added protection.
- 【Durable & Long-lasting】Our Level 2 EV Charging station is built with 365Cover technology for extreme resilience, UL Certified. 26 feet military grade, TPE polymer encased pure copper charging cable. The drop-resistant plug endures over 10,000 charges, up to 2 tons of pressure, and offers a 20-year lifespan. 2 years support.
- 【Trusted company】Autel has been making automotive intelligent diagnostic, inspection, and analysis products since 2004. The MaxiCharger AC Home was developed over 2 years from a full team of designers and engineers to bring you the safest, smartest, and one of the best looking chargers on the market.
- 【High speed Charging】With 12kW up to 50A charging, speed will never be an issue. Add 37 miles per charging hour. Don't waste time waiting on your EV to fully charge with slower chargers. An updated 25-Foot durable cable is flexible no matter how cold the season is so you can charge with confidence in even the coldest of temperatures(-40℃).
- 【CSA Certified & NEMA Type 4】Eligible for the Federal rebate program. With NEMA Type 4 you are protected in any type of weather including snow, rain, hail, and sleet. Hang it up outside your house or inside a garage and it will operate efficiently. Fire resistant, over current, over voltage, and over temperature protection. Your level 2 charger will run better and last longer, saving you money in the long term.
- 【Smart APP Control】Use Autel Charge APP to control your charger and manage charge times, schedule charging while you're away, and optimize your charging to take advantage of off peak electricity. Bluetooth enabled, Wi-Fi connectivity, and Ethernet access make sure your automatic over the air (OTA) remote firmware updates keep you connected at the times you need.
- 【3 Year Warranty and 24/7 Support】The MaxiCharger is easy for any electrician to install. A 3-year warranty, APP automatic updates, and around-the-clock support from Autel's service team means you'll never have to worry about quality and service.
- Level 2, 240 volt electric vehicle (EV) charging station charges any EV up to 9X faster than a normal wall outlet, with flexible amperage settings up to 50 amps (16/24/32/40/48/50 Amp) and plug-in or hardwired installation. Use the ChargePoint app to pick the right amperage for your home after installation.
- Works with all electric cars, tested on leading EV models: Chevrolet Volt and Bolt EV, Hyundai Kona and Ioniq, Kia NIRO, Nissan LEAF, Tesla models, Toyota Prius Prime, BMW i3, Honda Clarity, Chrysler Pacifica, Jaguar I-PACE, and many more
- Charge faster and smarter with the ChargePoint app. Set a schedule to only charge when electricity is cheapest, set reminders so you never forget to plug in, use Alexa voice control, and see all your ChargePoint charging data in one place
- Safe and reliable, with a 3-year backed by 24/7 customer support from a company dedicated to EV charging for 10+ years. UL listed for electrical safety, ENERGY STAR certified for efficiency.
- Easy for any electrician to install indoors or out. Plug-in installation with NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 outlet (6-50 currently selected) requires circuits rated 40A or 50A. For other circuit ratings, including 60A-80A for 48A-50A charging, the plug is easily removed for hardwired installation. Select the amperage that works best for you and your home, helping to avoid electrical upgrades.
- CHARGES ALL EVs & PHEVs: Fully compatible with all Electric Vehicles and Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles sold in the United States and Canada. Including: Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Ford Fusion, BMW i3, Chevy Volt, Toyota Prius, Tesla (with adapter).
- SUPER FAST CHARGING & EASY INSTALLATION: Charges up to 8x Faster than Standard AC Level 1 EV chargers for an additional estimated 25-35 miles of Range Per Hour. Engineered for ease of Installation with a Standard NEMA 6-50 plug and universal mounting bracket.
- SAFETY RATED & TESTED: Designed and tested to meet the nationally recognized UL (USA) & cUL (Canada) standards for safety. A must-have for electrical products installed in your home. NEMA 4 rated for Indoor/Outdoor use in all weather.
- ADJUSTABLE AMPERAGE & MODERN COMPACT DESIGN: Adjust the Max Current Output (32A, 24A, 16A) to Support Multiple Circuit Ratings (40A, 30A, 20A). Install in more locations with a slim, compact & modern design.
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED INCLUDED: One low price, no need to purchase other items. Includes: charging unit w/ 18 foot cable, NEMA 6-50 plug, universal mounting bracket, plug holster & user manual.
- Trusted Brand: AUTEL has been leading the global automotive diagnostic industry since 2004. The latest AUTEL AC Home Level 2 EV Charger provides you with a safer, more intelligent, and fast charging experience.
- Level 2 EV Charging: The MaxiCharger Home is a 240 Volt electric vehicle (EV) charging station that can charge any EV or plug-in hybrid up to 9X faster than a Level 1 (120 Volt) regular outlet charger. The ev charger power output range of 6 amps up to 50 amps allows you to choose the charging speed that fits your lifestyle and home.
- Wide Compatibility: This MaxiCharger hardwired EV charger is a 240V-50 Amp Level 2 Charger compatible with all EV and Hybrid Plug-in vehicles. Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Ethernet, CAN, RS485. A three-year limited warranty covers the unit.
- Smart and Convenient Mobile App: Manage your charging easily, intelligently, and insightfully. The advanced Autel Charge mobile app allows you to track, manage, schedule, and optimize smart EV charging anytime to take advantage of off-peak electricity rates.
- CSA Certified Safe and Reliable: Tested to UL safety standards by CSA, a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL), the Autel MaxiCharger qualifies for local rebates and incentives. A NEMA 4 protection rating provides safe and reliable indoor and outdoor usage in any climate.
- PORTABLE FAST HOME CHARGING - 26 ft 24 Amp EV Charger, the FASTEST allowable rate for National Electric Code (NEC)-approved 30 Amp circuit, charge confidently with all-weather IP55 rated enclosure
- NO INSTALLATION REQUIRED - Plug directly into your existing standard household 220-240V NEMA 14-30 outlet, dryer socket or Splitvolt Splitter Switch (sold separately)
- REAL TIME CHARGING STATUS - Take a quick glance to view the charging status with built in LED's: Power, Charge, Fault 1, and Fault 2
- SAFE UNIVERSAL CHARGING - Compatible with common Electric Vehicles available in North America with a SAE J1772 socket; includes a 1 year warranty
- EMPOWERING ELECTRIC VEHICLE ADOPTION (TM) – At Splitvolt, our mission is to provide compelling solutions and products that further simplify the process and costs of owning an electric vehicle - we also offer high performance extension cables, adapters and the award winning Splitter Switch for convenient and flexible access to your existing power sources
- 【Compatible】 Fits all J1772 type 1 connectors and mounts
- 【Material】 High durable material with IP54 waterproof grade.
- 【Features】 The plug holder keeps your type 1 EV charger connector away from rain and dust. And the wall hook makes your charger safe and no cable in mess.
- 【Content】 1 Pcs Type 1 Dummy Socket + 1 Pcs Cable Holder. 4 screws are included.
- 【Warranty and support】 Evcars has been dedicated to charging electric vehicles for 10 years. Offer 1-year warranty and timely professional technical support.
- ❤ [Smart LED Touch Screen & Why shows "No Plug"?]: If your ev charging station shows "No Plug" when plug into the car, it means "APP START", you can long press "Ⓐ Button" of the screen to switch to "Plug-and-Play", then you will charge your car quickly. (Kindly note: Please pull out the charging gun from your car before operating the screen function buttons, otherwise the button will not respond.)
- ❤ [Why Shows "Lowvolt Fault"? & How to connect with App?]: The Aimiler level 2 EV home charger's operating voltage is 220V-240V, it will work 7.6kW up to 32A charging speed if your voltage is 240V, so your outlet should be over 220V, otherwise it will show "Lowvolt Fault" and doesn't work! (Find Detailed APP Connect Steps by below product description.)
- ❤ [Faster Level 2 EV Charger with ETL and UL Listed]: Aimiler ZA05 level 2 EV 240V 7.6kw home charger can work 6X faster than a normal wall outlet. Equipped with NEMA 14-50 connector, J1772 TYPE 1 standard connector, so it is compatible with electric vehicles with American standard AC charging interfaces or plug-in hybrid vehicles, including Tesla (Adaptor Needed), Ford, GM, Volkswagen, Nissan, Audi and more.
- ❤ [Wi-Fi Smart APP, Real-time Monitor and Appoint The Charging Time, Save your Money]: Built-in smart home APP(turn on the wifi and bluetooth when add your device), which allows your vehicles to be charged during off-peak period by setting the charging time, save money on the electricity bills. And it allows to adjust charging current range from 16 to 32A, check charging cost, history, fully-charged notification or track the charging status.
- ❤ [Wi-Fi Reset Function, Eliminate Former Traces and Connect New WiFi]: 1. Simultaneously press and hold the current(Ⓐ) button and time adjustment button on the product screen to reset WIFI; 2. When the screen displays "WIFI Reset" and the indicator light is white, it means the reset is successful. 3. Re-start the ev car charger, and your phone can search to add the device again.
- Engineered by Autel, the industry-leader in automotive diagnostic tools since 2004, the MaxiCharger Home is a Level 2, 240 Volt electric vehicle (EV) charging station that can charge any EV or plug in hybrid up to 7X faster than a Level 1 regular outlet charger.
- The advanced Autel Charge mobile app allows you to track, manage, schedule, and optimize smart EV charging anytime to take advantage of off-peak electricity rates. The NEMA 14-50 plug and adjustable power output up to 40 Amps allows you to choose what works best for your home and lifestyle, helping to avoid costly electrical upgrades.
- A durable 25-foot cable, sturdy construction, and high-grade materials provide maximum weather resistance. A NEMA 4X protection rating, and certification by CSA testing labs, provide safe and reliable indoor and outdoor usage in any climate.
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Ethernet connectivity options ensure automatic OTA (over-the-air) firmware updates and seamless connectivity and communication with your mobile device. The optional start and stop RFID card functionality can prevent unauthorized use. This EV charger has a glass cover but no screen display.
- Easy installation by yourself or a licensed electrician, a 3-year warranty, 24/7 support from the best-in-class automotive customer service, and automatic updates will deliver safe and secure electric vehicle charging for years to come.
Last update on 2023-04-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.
OMB Control No.: 2127-0004 Part 573 Safety Recall Report 23V-218 The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573 Manufacturer Name : Submission Date : Kia America, Inc. MAR 29, 2023 NHTSA Recall No. : 23V-218 Manufacturer Recall No. : SC267 Manufacturer Information : Manufacturer Name : Kia America, Inc. Address : 111 Peters Canyon Road Irvine CA 92606 Company phone : 800-333-4542 Population : Number of potentially involved : 2,689 Estimated percentage with defect : 1 % Vehicle Information : Vehicle 1 : 2015-2019 Kia Soul EV Vehicle Type : LIGHT VEHICLES Body Style : ALL Power Train : HYBRID ELECTRIC Descriptive Information : All 2018-2019 model year Soul EV vehicles manufactured from July 3, 2017 through September 28, 2018 equipped with an E400 high voltage battery and certain 2015-2017 model year Soul EV vehicles manufactured from July 15, 2014 through June 30, 2017 that had their high voltage battery replaced under warranty with an E400 battery. The recall population was determined by a review of vehicle production and warranty records. The vehicles subject to this recall were not produced in VIN order. Customers seeking information about their specific vehicle will be referred to Kia’s Customer Care Center or their Kia dealer. Production Dates : JUL 15, 2014 – SEP 28, 2018 VIN Range 1 : Begin : NR End : NR Not sequential Description of Defect : Description of the Defect : An electrical short circuit between the anode and cathode of the battery cells can occur within the high-voltage battery pack assembly case located underneath the vehicle. If an electrical short circuit occurs, a fire may result while driving, thereby increasing the risk of injury. The cause of the short circuit condition remains unknown, but it is believed to be caused by abnormally excessive precipitate within the battery cells. FMVSS 1 : NR FMVSS 2 : NR Description of the Safety Risk : A fire increases the risk of injury. Description of the Cause : Cause of the electrical short circuit condition remains unknown but is believed to be caused by abnormally excessive precipitate within the battery cells. Part 573 Safety Recall Report 23V-218 Page 2 Identification of Any Warning that can Occur : 1) Incomplete high voltage battery charging, 2) loss/fluctuating vehicle range, and/or 3) illumination of EV warning light Involved Components : Component Name 1 : PACK ASSY-BATTERY Component Description : Battery Pack Assembly Component Part Number : 37510-E4300 (2018-19 MY) Component Name 2 : PACK ASSY-BATTERY Component Description : Battery Pack Assembly Component Part Number : 37510-E4350 (2018-19 MY) Component Name 3 : PACK ASSY-BATTERY Component Description : Battery Pack Assembly Component Part Number : 37510-E4200R (2015-17 MY) Component Name 4 : PACK ASSY-BATTERY Component Description : Battery Pack Assembly Component Part Number : 37510-E4250R (2015-17 MY) Supplier Identification : Component Manufacturer Name : SK On Address : 325, Expo-ro, Yuseong-gu Daejeon Foreign States 34124 Country : Korea, Republic of Chronology : The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573 Part 573 Safety Recall Report 23V-218 Page 3 The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573 See attached document titled “2015-2019MY Soul EV High Voltage Battery Chronology.” Description of Remedy : Description of Remedy Program : All owners of the subject vehicles will be notified by first class mail with instructions to bring their vehicles to a Kia dealer. Kia will instruct dealers to update the vehicle’s battery management system with new software that will detect abnormal battery cell voltage condition before an electrical short circuit occurs. Following installation of the new software, if the abnormal battery cell voltage is detected by the vehicle’s battery management system, the EV warning light will illuminate, charging capacity will be limited to 80% and the vehicle will be placed into a reduced-power limp home mode. If this occurs, dealer will replace the high voltage battery. Kia will reimburse owners for repair expenses already incurred pursuant to Kia’s General Reimbursement Plan filed May 10, 2022. How Remedy Component Differs from Recalled Component : Identify How/When Recall Condition was Corrected in Production : New software has been added to the battery management system to detect abnormal battery cell voltage condition before an electrical short circuit occurs. Not applicable. The subject vehicles are no longer in production. In addition, the 2020MY Soul EV was not manufactured for sale in the U.S. Recall Schedule : Description of Recall Schedule : Dealer notification is scheduled to begin and end on May 22, 2023 and the Owner notification is scheduled to begin and end on May 26, 2023. Planned Dealer Notification Date : MAY 22, 2023 – MAY 22, 2023 Planned Owner Notification Date : MAY 26, 2023 – MAY 26, 2023 * NR – Not Reported