March 29, 2022 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 22V202000
An oil leak in the presence of an ignition source such as hot engine or exhaust components, can increase the risk of a fire.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V202
Manufacturer Kia Motors America
Potential Number of Units Affected 26
Dealers will replace the turbocharger oil supply pipe, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed April 22, 2022. Owners may contact Kia customer service at 1-800-333-4542. Kia’s number for this recall is SC233.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
|Safety Recall Campaign||2022MY
Sorento (MQ4a) w/2.5L T-GDI
|SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN|
TURBOCHARGER OIL FEED PIPE REPLACEMENT (SC233)
This bulletin provides information to replace the turbocharger oil feed pipe on some 2022MY Sorento (MQ4a) vehicles equipped with Theta III 2.5L T-GDI engines and produced from March 3, 2022 through March 8, 2022. During the production of the turbocharger oil feed pipe, a crack may have occurred at the eye joint of the oil feed pipe. If a crack occurred, oil may leak and contact certain hot surfaces in the engine compartment, increasing the risk of a fire. Follow the procedure outlined in this publication to replace the turbo oil feed pipe. Before conducting the procedure, verify that the vehicle is included in the list of affected VINs.
|VIN List for 26 Affected Vehicles|
There is no charge to the vehicle owner for this repair. Under applicable law, you may not sell or otherwise deliver any affected vehicle until it has been repaired pursuant to the procedures set forth in this bulletin.
To assure complete customer satisfaction, always remember to refer to WebDCS Warranty Coverage (validation) Inquiry Screen (Service → Warranty Coverage → Warranty Coverage Inquiry) for a list of any additional campaigns that may need to be performed on the vehicle before returning
it to the customer.
1. Disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal.
2. Remove the engine cover.
3. Remove the engine room under cover (B).
4. Remove the front muffler (C) mounting nuts (D).
5. Remove the three (3) heat protector retaining bolts (E).
6. Remove the three (3) lower heat protector retaining bolts (F).
7. Remove the V-clamp (G) and the Warm-Up Catalytic Converter (WCC) (H).
8. Remove the turbocharger oil feed pipe (I).
Tightening torque specifications:
Eyebolt – 20.3 23.1 lb ft 27.5 31.4 N.m
Mounting Nut – 7.2 8.7 lb.ft (9 .8 11.8 N.m
Bracket Bolt: – 7.2 8.7 lb.ft (9 .8 11.8 N.m
9a. Install the new turbocharger oil feed pipe (incl. new copper washer and gasket) and all other removed parts in the reverse order of removal.
9b. If the removed turbocharger oil feed tube was leaking due to a crack, ensure to confirm the oil level is topped off. Allows engine to run after installation and confirm no oil leak is present.
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
|Model||Production Date Range|
|Sorento (MQa4)||March 3, 2022 to March 8, 2022.|
|Part Name||Part Number||Figure||Qty.||Comments|
|Turbocharger Oil Feed Pipe Assy||28240 2S304||N/A||1||Parts were
Auto-Shipped to Dealers
|Oil Drain Gasket||28246 2T000||1|
SC233 – 2022 MY SORENTO 2.5L T-GDI VEHICLES – OIL FEED PIPE
SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN
Q & A
March 31, 2022
What type of campaign is Kia conducting?
Kia America, Inc., pursuant to the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, is conducting a Safety Recall Campaign to remedy a defect that can result in oil leaking onto hot surfaces in the engine compartment.
What vehicles are affected by the recall?
Certain 2022 MY Sorento vehicles equipped with 2.5L T-GDI engines and manufactured from March 3, 2022 through March 8, 2022.
How many customer vehicles are affected by this recall?
Approximately 26 vehicles
What is the concern with the Oil Feed Pipe?
During the production of the turbocharger oil feed pipe by the supplier, a crack may occur at the eye joint of the oil feed pipe. If a crack occurs, oil may leak and contact certain hot surfaces in the engine compartment, increasing the risk of a fire.
Can you describe the recall campaign and fix?
Dealers will be instructed to replace the oil feed pipe assembly with a new one.
How will owners of the affected vehicles be notified?
Kia will send a letter notifying owners of the affected vehicles by first class mail on April 22, 2022.
What should vehicle owners do when they receive the notification?
Upon receipt of the letter, owners are to contact their authorized Kia dealer to arrange to have the recall performed on their vehicle.
How was the issue discovered?
Will this cost vehicle owners any money?
No. Kia will perform the recall repair at no cost to the customer.
What about customers who may have already paid to have this situation corrected?
If the customer has incurred expense to remedy this issue prior to the date of this notice, the customer may have the opportunity to obtain reimbursement for that expense. Customers may submit their receipts online to Kia via the Owners section (Contact Kia) of www.kia.com OR mail their documentation with the completed Request for Reimbursement Form included with this letter directly to Kia for review and consideration at the following address:
Consumer Assistance Center Kia America, Inc.
P.O. Box 52410
Irvine, CA 92619-2410
Are there any restrictions on an owner’s eligibility?
If a customer has an immediate question, where can they get further information? A12.
The customer can contact their local authorized Kia dealership or call Kia’s Consumer Assistance Center at 1-800333-4KIA (4542), Monday through Friday, 5 AM to 6 PM Pacific Time, or via the internet at www.kia.com (Owner’s Section).
Oil Feed Pipe
Basis of Safety Defect Determination 573.6(c)(6)
March 7, 2022
Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama (HMMA) notifies Kia Georgia (KaGA) of several non-Kia vehicles found with an oil leak from the turbocharger oil feed pipe and that 381 engines with the potential condition were shipped to KaGA for assembly to Kia vehicle production.
March 8, 2022
KaGA begins to trace the 381 engines to its vehicle production.
March 9, 2022
March 11, 2022
Kia NA PQ notifies Kia NA Safety Office regarding the turbocharger oil feed pipe leak issue and adds a dealer PreDelivery Inspection (PDI) check item for inspecting the 18 vehicles for any oil leaks at the turbocharger oil feed pipe.
March 17, 2022
KaGA advises Kia NA PQ an additional eight (8) vehicles were identified to be in transit to a Kia dealer increasing the total of vehicles with the potential condition to 26. The dealer PreDelivery Inspection (PDI) check item for inspecting the eight (8) additional vehicles for any oil leaks at the turbocharger oil feed pipe is added.
March 20, 2022
Kia Corporation (Kia HQ) informs Kia NA Safety Office that Hyundai Motor America (HMA) is planning on holding a field action decision meeting on March 21, 2022 for certain Hyundai vehicles equipped with the same 2.5L T-GDI engines.
March 21, 2022
As of March 21, 2022, three (3) out of the 26 Sorento vehicles with the potential condition had been inspected by dealers. No oil leaking found.
March 22, 2022
As a precautionary measure, Kia NA decides to conduct a safety recall for certain 2022MY Sorento vehicles equipped with 2.5L T-GDI engines. No warranty claims, customer complaints or techline cases. No fatalities, injuries, crashes or fires.
1 Affected Product
7 Associated Documents
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)RCMN-22V202-8942
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-22V202-1357
SC233 – 2022 MY SORENTO 2.5L T-GDI VEHICLES – OIL FEED PIPE SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN Q & A: March 31, 2022RMISC-22V202-0602
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
2022MY Sorento Oil Feed Pipe ChronologyRMISC-22V202-9363
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Latest Recalls Documents
- Castrol GTX Full Synthetic Motor Oil provides maximum protection to help fight the impact of severe conditions that can potentially shorten engine life
- Castrol GTX Full Synthetic has been proven to dramatically reduce engine wear - 6X better than the industry standard
- 1.3X better sludge protection than industry standards
- Full synthetic formula provides thermal and oxidation stability with a superior level of protection against viscosity breakdown
- Specifications: API SP/SN PLUS/SN, ILSAC GF-6, Meets Ford WSS-M2C947-B1
- Mobil 1 advanced full-synthetic motor oil 5W-20 utilizes Mobil 1’s signature Triple Action Formula to deliver outstanding engine performance, protection, and cleanliness.
- Helps protect critical engine parts for up to 10,000 miles between oil changes,* controlling oxidation to prevent oil breakdown and maintaining excellent viscosity
- Meets ILSAC GF-6 standards to help provide low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) and timing chain wear protection while keeping your engine clean and helping to improve your fuel economy
- Helps extend engine life by working to prevent damaging deposits and sludge buildup
- Provides excellent internal engine heat protection (up to 500 degrees F) and low temperature protection (to -30 degrees F)
- 50% More Wear Protection Than Industry Standard With Enhanced Anti-Wear Additives That Prevent Unwanted Metal-On-Metal Contact And Provide An Extra Layer Of Protection That Keeps Your Engine In Excellent Shape For The Many Miles Ahead
- Reduce Costly Repairs By Minimizing Exhaust System Damage With Our Fully Synthetic Formulation
- Minimize Heat And Abrasion Between Moving Parts Help Your High-Mileage Engine Maintain Its Horsepower And Perform Its Best For Longer
- 25% More Protection Against Deposits Than The Industry Standard With Extra Detergents, Keeping Your Engine Clean And Sustaining Its Performance
- 40% More Protection Than Industry Standards With Enhanced Anti-Wear Additives That Build A Bonus Layer Of Defense Between Critical Moving Parts Within Your Engine
- Resist Oil Breakdown 10X Better Than Industry Standards With A Combination Of Premium Antioxidants That Fight Oil Breakdown And Degradation
- 25% Better Protection Against Deposits With Extra Engine-Cleaning Detergents
- Exceptional Temperature Protection And Viscosity Retention Ensure A High Level Of Defense Even In The Most Challenging Climates
- Synthetic blend High Mileage 5W-20 engine oil specially formulated for new or late model SUVs, light vans and trucks, and passenger cars
- Recommended for vehicles with over 75,000 miles
- Helps prevent sludge and other damaging deposits
- Contains seal conditioning agents for dry or cracked engine seals to help reduce leaks and oil consumption
- Provides proven wear protection for engine parts
- 40% Better wear protection than the industry standard with enhanced anti-wear additives, keeping critical engine components safe and preventing metal surfaces from making contact
- Exceptional temperature protection no matter the weather with superior viscosity modifiers to ensure oil flows more easily, coats more completely, and resists thermal breakdown even in the fiercest driving conditions
- Enhanced friction performance helps maximize power with advanced friction-fighting agents that properly lubricate moving parts and help your older engine maintain its horsepower to perform its best for longer
- Reduce sludge, deposits, corrosion, and rust with added detergents and anti-corrosion additives, sustaining your engine’s performance and preventing higher emissions
- Full synthetic 5W-20 engine oil made from made from natural gas, not crude, using Pennzoil's patented gas-to-liquid PurePlus Technology
- Provides better fuel economy—drive on average an extra 550 miles per year (versus a dirty engine)
- Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 keeps pistons up to 45% cleaner than the toughest industry standard (Based on Sequence IIIH results)
- No other leading synthetic oil provides better wear protection from friction (Based on Sequence IVA wear test using SAE 5W-30)
- Formulated to provide faster low-temperature oil flow and protection in extreme heat
- For best performance, follow the manufacturer's recommendations in your vehicle owner’s manual.
- Formulated for longer drain intervals
- Helps prevent build up that can cause rust and corrosion
- Reduces friction for less engine wear
- High resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown
- Full synthetic 5W-20 engine oil made from natural gas, not crude, using Pennzoil's patented gas-to-liquid PurePlus Technology
- No other leading motor oil provides better wear protection for your engine (Based on Sequence IVA wear test using SAE 5W-30)
- Helps protect engines from loss of power and provides better fuel economy—drive on average an extra 550 miles per year (versus a dirty engine)
- Keeps pistons dramatically cleaner than required by the toughest industry standards (Based on ILSAC GF-6 and Sequence IIIH piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30)
- Delivers unsurpassed sludge protection to help keep high-performance and luxury car engines as close as possible to factory clean (Based on Sequence VH Sludge Test using SAE 5W-20)
Last update on 2022-08-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.